Broward County, Florida
Skip navigation links
About Us
Arts Education
Events
Funding
Public Art
Resources
Media
Skip navigation links
Art Galleries
Art Walks
Arts Education
Arts Festivals
Arts Parks
Arts Services
Attractions
Culture Crawl
Dance
Friends
Funding Resources
Government Agencies
Historical Societies
Interdisplinary
Libraries
Literature
Media Arts
Museum Memberships
Museums
Music
National Register of Historic Places
Performing Arts
Recreation
Summer Art Camps 2014
Theater Seating Charts
Theaters and Theater Companies
Visual Arts
Cultural Directory Search
HISTORIC STRANAHAN HOUSE MUSEUM
Built in 1901, Registered in 1973
335 SE 6th Ave
Fort Lauderdale , FL 33301

Phone: 954-524-4736  
 

Web Address: http://www.stranahanhouse.org/

Email: info@stranahanhouse.org

Contacts:
Executive Director: April Kirk, director@stranahanhouse.org
Education Director: Melanie Claros, education@stranahanhouse.org
Weddings and Venue Rentals: Donna Betz, info@stranahanhouse.org
Collections: Deb Wood,  collections@stranahanhouse.org
Memberships: Merry Wajda, membership@stranahanhouse.org
Volunteers: David Greig, volunteers@stranahanhouse.org
 


Purpose:
The mission of the Historic Stranahan House Museum is to tell the story of the birth place of our community through the lives of two extraordinary people and the homestead they built and to serve as an enduring legacy for historic preservation.  

The purpose of the Historic Stranahan House Museum is to preserve Stranahan House as a museum, historic site and social center for the community; to interpret Stranahan House through appropriate restorations, exhibitions, educational programs and tours; and to promote Stranahan House so that residents and visitors of all ages are aware of their opportunity to learn about the history of the region, thus furthering the social, cultural and historic viability of the community.
 


Projects:
The Historic Stranahan House Museum provides a variety of programs including:
  • Daily Guided House Tours every day at 1, 2, and 3 pm
  • Educational Programs and School tours as scheduled
  • River Ghost Tours on Sunday nights at 7:30 pm
  • Wedding and venue rentals
  • Victorian Christmas display and Holiday River Tours
  • Gift Shop featuring locally crafted items by artists and craftspeople
  • Special events, parties, and programs
 


Affiliates:


Description:
Stranahan House, built in a classic Florida frontier design, is the oldest surviving structure in Broward County.  It overlooks the picturesque New River.  Home to two of Fort Lauderdale’s best known pioneer residents, Frank and Ivy Stranahan, it was originally constructed as a trading post, the third such structure on the site.  Mr. Stranahan married Ivy Julia Cromartie in 1900.  When they first met she was an eighteen-year-old who had come from Lemon City to teach at the first Fort Lauderdale school. 
The Stranahans welcomed the Seminole Indians who would sleep on the house’s broad porches when they came to town to trade.  Mrs. Stranahan was an early advocate of education for both Indians and blacks.  Although she only formally taught school for a year, many of the Indian children who visited her home learned to read through her efforts.  The Stranahans donated land for the third school for black children, Old Dillard School, in Fort Lauderdale. 
Frank Stranahan’s major business interests were in real estate and banking.   He organized the Fort Lauderdale State Bank in 1910 and served as its president.  He was also active in local politics.    When the “land boom” collapsed after the 1926 hurricane and the great depression, the Fort Lauderdale State Bank failed.   Mr. Stranahan’s other business interests also suffered.  Despondent and in poor health, he drowned himself in the New River. 
The house has served over the years as a post office, town hall and restaurant.  Mrs. Stranahan died in 1971 having watched Broward County’s tremendous growth.   In her will she left her property to the Seventh Day Adventist Church.  The house was purchased shortly thereafter by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society and the Fort Lauderdale Board of Realtors which began the restoration effort.  The house features Dade County pine walls (termite resistant) and oak flooring.  In 1982, extensive archaeological investigations were conducted by archaeologist Robert Carr.  This work not only helped document the late-nineteenth-century history of the site, but also revealed deposits of much older prehistoric artifacts.   It is now a house museum, run by Stranahan House, Inc., open to the public for tours and special events.   This well-restored house museum focuses on the Stranahan family and Fort Lauderdale’s early Twentieth-Century history. 
 
The house is open for tours every day at 1, 2, and 3 P.M.  Adults $12, Seniors $11 Children $7 For additional information, please call: 954-524-4736 or visit www.stranahanhouse.org.