Go Places This Summer @ Broward County Library!
Summertime and the livin’ is easy, especially for kids enjoying their freedom from school and the daily grind. But even though school may be out, the learning doesn’t stop during June, July and August. Numerous studies have shown that reading over the summer prevents “summer reading loss.” Summer reading loss is real, documented and cumulative – children can lose up to three months of reading progress and they simply don’t catch up in the fall. The problem is worse for children living in poverty, as they’re more likely to lose reading skills over the summer than children whose families are more affluent. The Summer Reading Program is open to all children and teens in Broward, offering everyone the opportunity to read for fun and prizes.
What’s So Important About Summer Reading Programs @ Your Library?
- Summer reading programs in public libraries offer extensive enrichment activities related to literature that’s not often included in schools due to time constraints.
- Reading four or five books over the summer can have a significant impact on reading progress for middle school readers.
- Young readers are encouraged to use alternate formats such as magazines, recorded books, graphic novels and online resources.
- They provide quality learning activities that are fun, and encourage some of the best techniques identified by research as being important to the reading process.
- Free voluntary reading is essential to helping students become better readers, writers and spellers.
BCL’s Summer Reading Program – What’s In It For You?
Kids and teens – the Summer Reading Program at Broward County Library kicks off next month. Thirty-one participating libraries will host lots of free, exciting programs for all ages that will fill your summer with fun! Visit or call the Youth Services desk at your local library for details.
The Miami Dolphins and Broward County Library have teamed up this summer to encourage kids to explore the world and read for the fun of it. Children and teens are invited to visit their Broward County Library this summer to pick up a Summer Reading Program game board. Play by “booking” a trip around the game board, stopping to pick up reading rewards at your library and then winning the chance to score some great grand prizes including:
- Dolphins Home Game Club Level Experience for a family
- A VIP day at the Miami Dolphins Training Camp
- Miami Dolphins Player autographed football or helmet
- Papa Johns Pizza Party for 30 people
- Ticket package to Young At Art (parent and child)
- Dolphin Odyssey at Miami Seaquarium
- Two ticket package to Miami Seaquarium
- Family 4-pack of tickets to Jungle Island
- Family 4-pack of tickets to Lion Country Safari
- Family 4-pack of tickets to Miami Children’s Museum
- Family 4-pack of exhibit & IMAX tickets to Museum of Discovery & Science
- Kindle Fire
- $250 toy store gift card
- $250 Publix gift card
The Summer Reading Program is sponsored by the Broward Public Library Foundation, Miami Seaquarium, Young at Art Museum, Miami Dolphins Foundation and Kid Vision.
Where Can I Find the Summer Reading Program?
Beginning June 15, you can pick up your copy of Broward County Library’s “Summer Reading Program” booklet at any Broward County Library and get a full list of upcoming Summer Reading Program events.
The libraries below will offer Summer Reading Program happenings. Click on the links below to find library location, hours and events:
African-American Research Library and Cultural Center
Carver Ranches Branch Library
Century Plaza Branch Library
Jan Moran Collier City Learning Library
Dania Beach Paul DeMaio Branch Library
Davie/Cooper City Branch Library
Deerfield Beach/Percy White Branch Library
Hallandale Beach Branch Library
Imperial Point Branch Library
Lauderhill Towne Centre Branch Library
Margate Catharine Young Branch Library
Miramar Branch Library & Education Center
North Lauderdale Saraniero Branch Library
North Regional/Broward College Library
Northwest Branch Library
Northwest Regional Library
Nova Southeastern University Alvin Sherman Library, Research and Information Technology Center
Pembroke Pines/Walter C. Young Branch Library
Pompano Beach Branch Library
Riverland Branch Library
South Regional/Broward College Library
Southwest Regional Library
Stirling Road Branch Library
Sunrise Dan Pearl Branch Library
Tamarac Branch Library
Tyrone Bryant Branch Library
West Regional Library
Weston Branch Library
Young at Art Museum/Broward County Library
| Summer Books, Sights and Sounds Available @ Broward County Library:|
||Cool Songs for Cool Kids (CD) More...|
||Catch a Wave: Beach Songs for Kids (CD) More...|
||The Kids Summer Games Book, by Jane Drake More...|
||Grandmom’s Summer Reading Club: Strengthening the Bond with Your Grandchildren through a Shared Love of Reading, by Elizabeth C. Henderson More...|
||Summer Fun! 60 Activities for a Kid-Perfect Summer, by Susan Williamson More...|
||It’s Summer! By Jimmy Pickering (For early readers) More...|
||Morgy’s Musical Summer, by Maggie Lewis (For early readers) More...|
||Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah ( A Letter from Camp), by Allan Sherman More...|
||My Summer Story (DVCD - Sequel to A Christmas Story) More...|
||Recess! School’s Out! (DVD) More...|
||The Fairly OddParents in School’s Out! The Musical (DVD) More...|
Back to Top