Broward County is a diverse, multi-ethnic urban county, the second largest, and one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the state, home to 1.7 million people seeking economic opportunity, freedom of expression and a superior quality of life.
Across the United States, experts generally agree that the broad definition of "diversity" refers to visible individual differences, such as race, gender, age, as well as differences that are not apparent at first glance, including religion, ability status, sexual orientation, education, and socio-economic diversity.
- For the first time, as indicated by the 2010 Census redistricting data, the County has become a "minority-majority" county. The Non-Hispanic White population accounted for less than 50 percent of the total population.
- Nearly 26 percent of the population is African American, including a large number of individuals who immigrated from Haiti, Jamaica, and other parts of the Caribbean, as well as Central and South America
- More than 25 percent of residents are now foreign-born
- 70 percent are from Latin America
- Hispanics, primarily of Puerto Rican, Cuban and Colombian descent, currently represent 17 percent of Broward County's total population
- More than 14 percent of residents are age 65 and older
- Nearly 90,000 part-time residents live within Broward County at the peak of its "season"
- More than 11 million tourists visit the County annually
- Nearly 1 million of these visitors represent the gay and lesbian communities
- Nearly one-in-five residents age five and above has a disability
- 30 percent of Broward's population has a high school diploma
- 28 percent have some college
- 29 percent have either a bachelor's degree or advanced degree
Broward County recognizes and values the diversity of the community in many ways. The Broward County Board of County Commissioners and staff foster a diverse work environment, develop and promote programs that encourage diversity in the marketplace, and support and fund activities and outreach events that celebrate and heighten awareness of our diversity.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe® Reader®